Mindset & Life Coaching
What is Teen Life Coaching?
Mindset coaching is life coaching with an emphasis on mindset.
Life Coaching is about supporting our teens in living their best life! Just like a baseball coach helps children develop skills, confidence, and ability to thrive in baseball; a mindset coach helps teens develop the skills, confidence, and ability to thrive in life.
The skills learned are how to manage life’s challenges, mistakes, disappointments and failures. Guiding teens how to how to have confidence, pick themselves up and never give up. Developing self confidence from the inside out and stretching outside their comfort zones, while learning the importance of being in the now.
In life coaching we use mindfulness integrated with mindset.
Mindfulness means to deliberately pay attention to whatever you are doing, right now. These pages can be read mindfully or with a mind not fully focused and aware that you are reading an article.
Everything except sleep can be done mindfully. We can eat mindfully or we can think about past or future event without paying attention to our eating.
How does it work?
While most of what we achieve is by “doing”, mindfulness achieves its ends by “not doing,” simply by observing. It seems to achieve its success by allowing us to see our thoughts and emotions for what they are, thoughts we are having at the moment and emotions we are experiencing. Thoughts like “I must be stupid” are subtle and we generally believe them uncritically.
By being mindful of our thoughts we gradually get the idea that the are just thoughts that we are having and there is no need to believe them uncritically. Similarly with a feeling like “anger” we start to realize that it is a feeling that is currently strong within us but no more than that, we currently have anger, but it doesn’t define us and it will pass. We stop identifying with the thoughts and emotions. Our mind ceases to be in the control of strong feelings and thoughts and slowly comes under our own control.
This shifts our mindset!
All online coaching includes around one hour sessions, check ins with the parents, and individualized goal setting beginning of each session. We focus on learning our self-worth, self-discovery, and self-awareness.
A typical session goes as follows; review of what we will do that session, a quick “how are you feeling” check in, practicing coping skills throughout our sessions, instructional discussion, mindfulness activity, “how are you feeling” reflection, gratitude sharing.
- The programs provide tools and resources to empower children to be leaders of their own life by taking full responsibility for their journey.
- While being in the program, children learn how to overcome self-doubt, manage mistakes, and deal with peer pressure so they can develop strong self-esteem and powerful self-confidence for a lifetime. Each child’s month will look different than another, every child gets their own, individual instructional discussions.
- The programs are designed in such a way that children feel like they’re playing: they’re easy and fun, but also teach skills and provide steps to take action.
- We learn by conversations, activities, humor, and stories to spark discussion rather than talking directly about challenges or situations. This helps them feel at ease because they are not being judged or put on the spot. We call this “teaching without preaching” or “learning without lecturing”.
1×1 weekly virtual video calls. Providing personalized tools and resources to empower children to be leaders of their own life taking responsibility. Together, we focus on building their emotional intelligence, goal setting and support for those difficult times children can face as they are growing up.
Offering coaching for children as individuals and/or families as a whole.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is life coaching different from counseling or therapy?
Although life coaching and counseling may have similarities, such as asking the important questions, listening, and finding patterns in people’s lives, they are not the same thing.
In many ways counseling is about resolving or managing issues from the past, whereas mindset & life coaching is about creating the future and helping teens achieve the ultimate vision they have for their lives. They learn to take control of their thoughts and emotions while loving themselves for who they are.
Counseling helps with more serious issues that prevent a child living a normal life such as, depression, OCD, ADD, ADHD, or eating disorders.
Mindset and life coaching help teenagers reach their life potential, going from where they are to where they want to be. They learn how to create what they want through building unbeatable confidence and strong self esteem.
What will my teenager learn? How will she benefit?
Your daughter will learn powerful mindset skills and success principals that are critical for creating happiness, confidence, and success in their lives – and the key is how they think about themselves and what is possible for their lives. For example…
- How to recognize and shift limiting beliefs that hurt self-esteem and hold them back in life. They also learn how to proactively create supportive belief that will support them in feeling good about themselves, believing in themselves, and in creating a happy fulfilling life.
- Teens learn the values of self-leaders such as the power of taking full responsibility for their lives, the importance of living life with integrity, and the importance of treating others with respect while always treating themselves with respect as well.
- Teens learn how to think for themselves and make decisions…which helps them develop their inner compass and learn how to stand up to peer pressure.
- Teens learn how to feel good about themselves even when things don’t go their way so that their self-esteem is based on the inside-out and not based on who they know, what they do, or what they have.
- Teens learn how to believe in themselves even after facing a disappointment so that they can move through their upset and their fear…to create courage and self-confidence.
- Teens learn how to live life with intention and with direct so they don’t drift through life.
- Teens learn how to develop a mindset for creating success in their lives including learning how to set and achieve their goals.
- Teens learn how to manage change so that they can thrive in the new circumstances. These are skills that most programs geared for teens do not cover. (Adventures In Wisdom)
My teen doesn’t have a problem…is life coaching for them?
Mindset & life coaching isn’t just for teens who are facing challenges or problems. Helping teens learn how to reach their fullest potential is about personal development and personal empowerment so that they will be ready to face any challenge that comes their way. Second, teens don’t have a problem….until they do. Mindset & life coaching gives teens the skills that they need to handle challenges and to handle problems when they do come their way. The best part is they can use these skills for the rest of their lives.
There are a number of reasons why a parent would hire a life coach to work with their teen; some of the most common reasons are:
- Their teen is dealing with self-esteem, worried about what others think of them, getting down on themselves, thinking no one likes them, etc.
- Their teen is dealing with lack of confidence, shyness or anxiety. Everything must be in a specific order, they are very dependent on routine, refusing to try new things, etc.
- Their teens outlook is a constant struggle of whining, even anger for some. Maybe about homework, chores, friends, teachers, siblings.
- Their teen is dealing with major changes like a move, new school, parents divorce or even a death
- They want a head start in developing leadership skills in their children with self-responsibility
- They see their teen is struggling with peers, making some poor decisions
(Adventures In Wisdom)
What can a life coach do for my child that I can’t?
Life coaching & Mindset & life coaching are intertwined in sessions.
People often confuse parenting and “life coaching for kids”. Life coaching goes beyond the traditional parenting roles of moral and character development and it goes beyond learning how to treat others and learning how to behave.
WISDOM Coaching is where I was certified through. It is all about teaching teens empowerment skills and personal development skills so they can become self-leaders of their own lives. Think of it as leadership training for teens. What we teach most grownups haven’t learned.
Let’s be clear though, if you decide to enroll your teens in a coaching program, it does not mean you “failed” as a parent. It simply means you are understanding that your teen needs additional support in certain areas.
We are offering a service in teaching teens to be self-aware, accountable for themselves, to help them understand and learn tools to fully understand that they choose their life experiences.
Some teens need help academically. This program is for teens who need a new way of seeing themselves, to build self-confidence, to build self-esteem, to develop coping skills, to find courage, overcome shyness, to trust their inner compass as a guide to making the right decision for themselves, and so much more.
“It takes a village to raise a child”
Life coaching provides additional support in areas of taking control of their thoughts, actions and emotions.
What does 1:1 Coaching include?
Each session varies from 45 minutes to an hour and a half, I give teens whatever space they need to work through things so I don’t call it at an hour. It’s important to me for your teen to walk away feeling better then your teen walked into our session.
We would also discuss coping tools, sometimes hearing it for the 100th time is the time that it clicks.
Your teen will also be able to text me daily and I’m happy to reach out to your teen whenever you want. I normally check in Mondays with my teens on how they want to feel that week and what actions they can take and will check in throughout the week how it’s going.
My package includes:
-video sessions with your teen
-my phone number to reach out anytime
-monthly parent calls and of course you have my number and can reach out anytime, doesn’t have to only be monthly
-weekly action steps that she agrees on that will help her step into their best self
-point of contact (if you wanted to connect me with teacher, family, therapist, or any other support so we can all work together to support your teen best)
-space in Viktoria’s Village community